Sunday, September 21, 2008

The need to record Papua New Guinea's history

My auntie, Kitalam Delabu, aged 84, died at Angau Memorial Hospital in Lae last Saturday night, September 20.

Kitalam, from Butibam village in Lae, was the last of a family of five starting with elder brother Nasinom, herself, my father Mathias, Malum and then Gaseawe.

Her three brothers Nasinom, Mathias and Malum, and sister Gaseawe, have all gone.

I had planned to interview Kitalam many times so that he could tell me her story, which is one of Lae, Morobe province and Papua New Guinea from the colonial days and WW11 up to now.

Unfortunately, she is now gone, like many others all over Papua New Guinea, without their history being recorded.

On the event of her death, I have taken it upon myself to record the history of as many Papua New Guineans, which I plan to publish as a book as well as online.

If you know of any interesting Papua New Guineans, perhaps your mum, dad, grandfather or grandmother, let me know so that I can arrange to interview them and record their history before it’s too late.

I look forward to hearing from as many people as possible on this idea.

Email me at malumnalu@gmail.com or call me on mobile (675) 6849763.

Let’s work together to record our history before it’s too late!

 

Malum

 

No comments:

Post a Comment