By MALUM NALU
The Ok Tedi Development Foundation has succeeded in laying a strong platform for project delivery, carrying out millions of kina worth of projects in Western province, according to chief executive officer Ian Middleton, The National reports.
He said 2012 would see delivery at a level beyond anything the community mine continuation agreement (CMCA) communities have ever experienced.
|OTDF will later this month take delivery of two Twin Otter aircraft for CMCA communities|
“The CMCA Trust Investment Fund is fully committed with seven projects in a diversified K90 million portfolio comprising aviation, shipping and real estate,” Middleton said.
“A consolidated provincial project matrix has been prepared as a development project guide for OTDF, Fly River provincial government (FRPG) and PNG Sustainable Development Program (PNGSDP) planning and implementation.
“Two hundred and forty thousand (240,000) points of rubber are grown in three OTDF regional nurseries and distributed to village farmers for income-generation projects
“Innovative biogas installation is being carried out at Samagos Field Base converting human and agricultural waste into gas for cooking, lighting and hot water.”
Middle said highlight of 2011 included:
- · A community based governance process making informed decisions on OTDF’s strategic directions and all major development projects;
- · Importance of the women and children’s action plans; ;
- · Listening and learning from the ground up with a commitment to all 156 CMCA villages;
- · Strong 31-person regional and community development teams operating permanently from regional field bases to deliver village level projects;
- · Village profiles completed for all 156 villages as baseline data for planning and implementation;
- · Improved engagement with key stakeholders: tripartite Agreement between OTDF, FRPG and PNGSDP;
- · Funds mobilised from PNGSDP for 16 projects totalling K40 million endorsed by the advisory committee; and
- · K3.22 million feasibility funding accessed from the CMCAs’ 5% portion of the Western Province People’s Dividend Trust Fund for seven OTDF advisory committee and board-endorsed development projects valued at over K160m.
The OTDF was formed in 2008 to operate independently of Ok Tedi Mining Ltd (OTML).
It is mandated to mobilise the eight CMCA trust funds and improve the livelihood of the mine-impacted communities
A board, advisory committee and CEO were in place by mid 2009 and the OTDF is now working though a five-year business plan with other stakeholders including World Bank, AusAID and European Union.